Children, Support, and Property

Can I get maintenance or will I have to provide maintenance to my spouse?

Either you can get maintenance or you will have to provide maintenance to your spouse in only two specific circumstances: The spouse from whom maintenance is requested was convicted or received deferred adjudication for family violence within two years from the suit for dissolution of the marriage or while the suit is pending; or If the marriage lasted more than 10 years, the spouse seeking support does not have “sufficient property” to provide for their “minimum reasonable needs,” and if the spouse seeking spousal maintenance either: Cannot support themselves and get employment because of an incapacitating physical or mental disability; Read more